It’s normal for your worldview to change as you grow older. Whether it’s your emotions, health, or skin, it doesn’t matter. Almost everything gets affected by the passage of time. The wiser you get, the more battle scars you collect, especially for women. Not only do they have to adjust to societal changes and obligations, but age progression also gives way to the dreaded idea of menopause.
From emotional changes to physical, menopause can alter almost everything about a woman. Plus, due to its transitional nature, menopause can also cause weight gain.
Does Menopause Cause Weight Gain?
There is a reason why most women fear the oncoming set of menopause. Just the idea of rapid weight gain, hot flashes, and temperamental mood swings sound troubling. Having to experience the entire saga on a daily basis can drain a person.
Moreover, with something as fluid as weight, the notion of gaining it is pretty much expected. And the culprit behind this shift? Your hormones.
Why Do Women Gain Weight During Menopause?
Estrogen and progesterone are two of the major hormones present in a woman’s body. They hold the responsibility for most of your body’s functions, which is why your body reacts differently when there’s a shortage of these hormones.
In women, however, low levels of estrogen and progesterone can lead to perimenopause and menopause. Not to mention, the lower the estrogen is, the harder it gets for your metabolism to function as normal.
And since metabolism helps convert calories to energy, a drop in this cycle is bound to have negative impacts.
Thus, due to the lack of hormones (estrogen and progesterone), a woman’s body is unable to maintain a fast metabolism. This gives way to menopause which then becomes a cause for unhealthy weight gain.
How Do You Get Rid Of Menopausal Belly Fat?
It can seem pretty much impossible to lose weight once you’ve gone ahead and gained it all. However, no matter what your bathroom scale tells you, that is not the truth. Sure, menopause can mess with your metabolism rate, but it doesn’t stop completely.
By making small, day-to-day changes, you can fight back life and get rid of the tummy pooch in due time. All that it takes is a little bit of dedication, hard work, and willingness to change.
Take a look below for a couple of weight loss tips to reduce your menopausal belly fat.
- Amp up your exercise routine. Make it high-powered and more intense.
- Swap your sitting time with standing. Try to stay up on your feet as much as you can.
- Pay close attention to what you eat, especially the number of carbohydrates you consume.
- Cut down on your portion size and stick to a healthy calorie intake.
- Switch harmful fats with healthier ones like extra virgin olive oil.
- Rather than mindless snacking, schedule your meals accordingly, so you don’t eat anything in excess.
- Keep alternating with your exercise patterns. Do not settle on one form.
- Follow a healthy sleeping pattern and strategies to boost your energy production.
- Learn to manage your stress levels in a healthy manner.
- Consult a medical professional to help you out through your adulthood journey.
Get Tested Today!
Whether your erratic weight gain is caused by menopause or not, it’s best to get tested. With conclusive results, you will have an idea of what you’re dealing with. This way, you can get the proper treatment needed and push your body through the tests of time.
For more information on testing procedures, reach out to Rxology Integrative Healthcare at 844-460-0298 (Toll-Free) or 773-692-7682 (Local). Or, to avail our lab testing facilities, you can visit us at 1 E Erie St, Suite 101, Chicago, IL 60611.